Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fresh Fried Shanghai Lumpia Filipino style

I don't know about you but I'm a lover of fresh Filipino lumpia shanghai style. I just love the taste of lumpia that's just come out of the frying pan when its nice and crispy, pipping hot with some sweet and spicy sauce. I learned how to cook lumpia from a friend in our congregation about 6 months ago. I've mastered the technique down to a science. Me and my wife sell it sometimes to make a couple of dollars but for the most part, give it away to friends and family who really enjoy it. I've had nothing but great compliments on my lumpia since we've started making it. it's a time consuming recipe from start to finish but in the end, it's all worthwhile. it may take 2 hours to make it. everything from accruing all the ingredients to rolling it, to frying it. if your having a party with friends over it only takes a matter of minutes before they are all gone. that's what happens to me and my wife every time we have goody night at our book study every third Thursday of the month. we've bring lumpia and in just a matter of minutes they are all gone. I'm proud to share my recipe of Filipino lumpia right here for those who don't know how to make it. i hope you enjoy them as much as my family and friends do. instead of all pork, we add half of ground beef since its a Little cheaper that way but its up to you.


1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 lbs ground pork
3 cups of coarsely grated jicama
2 large carrots coarsely grated
1 cup coarsely grated onion (about 2 small onions)
1 clove of fresh garlic
2 eggs
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 pkg of lumpia wrappers (panama style brand)
1 bottle of panama sweet & sour chili sauce

Mix all ingredients together, add more salt and pepper if desired crack 1 egg and separate the egg white from the yoke. put the egg white into a small bowl which will be used to seal the wrapper after its been rolled. refer to the package for wrapping instructions. wrap the lumpia filling. deep fry in canola oil until light golden brown. serve while hot and crispy with chili sauce.
watch them disappear. yummy!!!!!!

3 comments:

TEEBOB said...

mahilig sab diay ka mag luto

kung na a ka time visit my cooking blog. mahilig man sad ko mo lutu www.greatironchef.blogspot.com ug kung mahilig sad ka ug ero visit www.canine-mansbestfriend.blogspot.com

have a nice day

queenbee said...

woaaah.. i love lumpiang shanghai also.. yum yum yum.. it's good that you shared the recipe. many people will love it if they try to cook. i am very sure of that. (oh.. now i want to eat lumpia.. i better grab one..) :) u got a very neat blog huh.. keep it up.. i like this one better.

Lisa said...

Lumpias are really good. I also make it myself and give away some to my American friends and they love it. Sometimes my hubby sell it to his co-workers and we make money to cover up the expenses for the ingredients. We had a banquet in our church lately and I brought lumpia and it was gone so quick. They all told me my lumpias are good. Yummy!!!