Saturday, October 27, 2012

Shame On You California Employment Developement Department

Yes, shame on the state of California and their Employment Development Department! This state is running like a town circus and the state doesn't care about you or your family. Just take our money, pay your taxes and shut up. Let me explain why I say this. I went on family medical leave over a month ago because I had a minor surgery. I filed for SDI or California state disability insurance the day of my surgery although there is a 7 day waiting period that starts the first day your off work. After the 7 day waiting period, you will be paid for every day that you are disabled. The state pays you every 14 days and I believe it's based on the highest quarter of your earnings for that year. Anyways, The SDI programs are state-mandated and funded through employee payroll deductions. Workers covered by SDI are covered by two programs: Disability Insurance and Paid Family Leave. The Disability Insurance program provides affordable, short-term benefits to eligible workers who suffer a loss of wages when they are unable to work due to a non-work related illness or injury, or due to pregnancy or childbirth. This is the program I'm currently on.

Anyways, I wasn't aware that as I speak, the current unemployment rate for the state of California stands at a whopping 7.8 %. To make a long story short, nearly 6 weeks later and I have not received a single benefit payment yet because when I called the state to inquire of my benefits application, they said we currently have over 700,000 applications and are swamped due to the high unemployment rate. So, is this my problem? Apparently it is. I told them that this is not fair since it's MY money that they deduct from MY paycheck and I have bills, rent, and food I need to pay for. I have 2 kids and a wife to feed. Their answer was" sorry, there's nothing we can do" I asked them when can I receive a check? They said "Oh, you won't be receiving anything from us till at least the first week of November" I said angrily to them "So how am I supposed to support my wife and kids with no benefits? They said" It's not our problem" I was and still am angry at the state since I'll probably be back to work before I receive any benefits thanks to the wonderful state of California.

In summary, I believe that someone needs to address this problem with their local congressman so that people who have to use this program can get the benefits they deserve without delay and have some kind of normalcy in their lives while they are on temporary leave from work. I'm sure I'm not the only person experiencing this problem and maybe some others are worse off than I but there needs to be a better way to handle the states mess. Why should the unemployment rate mandate when an injured worker can receive his due benefits? It shouldn't! After all, It's your money that pays for your SDI benefits, right? You need to support your family right? Comments and suggestions would be very much welcome.

1 comment:

JustADealJess said...

sadly, i had a situation similar to this. I am in Kentucky. I was out for 7 weeks. I received my money AFTER I went back to work. I am glad I received it but it was terrible. Those 7 weeks waiting...and it is very sad that I didn't get it until after I was already back working...1000 of miles away and it all works the same..good ol state government! Good Luck! IT IS THEIR PROBLEM!