Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Elaborately Broken Pacing and Harven Birdman: Attorney at Law

The article written by Karl Morgan

Being a comedy writer means that I'm always looking around for inspiration. Most of the time, I find that my own life is strange enough to inspire some comedy writing, but sometimes I have to take things to a new extreme. Sometimes, I need to shock my brain into thinking in different ways. Sometimes, I need to watch a cartoon like Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.

Harvey Birdman is, for lack of a better word, absolutely crazy. I've never watched a show that even approaches its narrative speed. Episodes can span several minutes or several decades, and characters can change their appearance, demeanor, and backstory on a dime. The jump-cuts are loud and exciting, the music is deliberately cheesy, and the dialogue is deliberately rushed and stilted. I mean, it's like they've set out to create the worst cartoon of all time, but they've done it on purpose. The effect is truly hilarious.

If you have a Satellite TV subscription from www.TVbyDirect.com, just flip onto Adult Swim and check it out on Saturday. You won't know what you're watching, and you won't be able to keep up with the show until you're used to it. Really, though, that's the point. You have to surrender yourself to it and let the absurdity wash over you.

No comments: